Monday, January 12, 2009

Funnel Pattern for Your Barrel Horse

Funnel Patterns to Keep Your Barrel Horse Loose and Supple
by Kendra Sagers

Training and riding barrel horses can sometimes be a challenge. Especially when we really don’t want to over work the barrel pattern, but may still feel like there is work to do with or around barrels. I have a number of exercises that I do to help me work my barrel horse, keep him supple, work on my turns and speed control, and still not over work the barrel pattern.

You can use cones, tires, or barrels as markers for these patterns. To work the patterns at a trot or canter I suggest 80' between the widest markers, 60' between the middle markers, and 40' between the shortest markers. Each pattern is discussed below.

This is the funnel pattern I call Left or Right Turn. Meaning that you can work it in either direction. This pattern can also be worked at a walk, trot, or slow canter. Just remember that you should always start slow and gradually speed up. Only work this pattern at speeds where YOU are completely in control and able to maintain your horse’s body shape. Also remember to keep your circles around the barrels smooth and even.
I call this pattern Figure Eights. This pattern helps you simulate working between two barrels. Remember to maintain control, shape, and distance in this and all patterns. I recommend working this pattern at a walk and a trot. If you and your horse are advanced you can work it at a canter, but remember to maintain shape, control, and speed. This pattern can also be worked from either direction and either end.
I call this funnel pattern Left then Right. It works your horse in both directions. This pattern will help keep your horse listening to you while working on your turns. I recommend using this pattern at the walk or the trot.

I call this pattern Zig Zag. This pattern can help you to keep control of your horse and to keep him guessing and waiting for your cue. When working it be sure to maintain control, shape, and distance from the markers. This pattern can be worked at a walk, tort, or canter. Make sure you are in control and allow your horse plenty of room.





2 comments:

  1. I have done many similar training patterns but never really structured them so well. Great ideas and really nice to have them so well thought out and detailed. I think this would work well for horses just starting out right up to finished horses. It will keep thier minds thinking without blowing them up with working the barrel pattern over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this and love it! Something to help with anticipation!

    ReplyDelete